Tuesday 22 May 2012

SmartKat Inflatable Catamaran


Last Friday I picked up my new indulgence an inflatable catamaran. My wife Luba received her retirement from Russia which has been increased by over 100% in the past year. At least Russia understands what is impoirtant. Also, they didn't increase the retirement age but actually lowered it. This makes a lot of sense and would improve things in the US dramatically if they lowered the retirement age for social security to 60 for men and 55 for women. The social security fund is adequately funded for the foreseeable future and can easily be increased as we are a fiat currency and Congress has no qualms about printing an endless supply of money for the banks and the military so why not for retirement? Anyway, this would free up a lot of jobs which younger (and lower salaried thus cheaper for businesses) unemployed people could then enter the work force. Anyway, this small windfall I have been given for an early birthday present and I bought an inflatable catamaran (specifically the SmartKat from Austria). Here is a lionk to the website: http://www.smartkat.at/ There are a number of similar boats with the Grabner HappyCat (Austrian) being the most expensive and the MiniCat (Czech) tied with the SmartKat (Austrian). There is also a Ducky 15, 17, or 19 from the Ukraine and the Prostar from Russia. I opted for the SmartKat as it has the best performance for its size, has less than a 10 m2 sail which is important because in Hungary you need a sailing license to operate a sailboat with a sail larger than 10 m2. I would have just gone for a real rigid catamaran such as a Prindle 18 or Hobie 18, or the Tornado Olympic spec boats BUT here on Lake Balaton you must purchase a slip fee on an annual basis which runs a bit over $6K a year and still you need to pay to pull the boat for winter storage. Anyway, the SmartKat packs down into 2 bags each weighing 21 Kg and has an assembly/disassembly time of 30 minutes which makes it more or less practical enough. Actually, it takes about that much time to rig a Hobie for sailing so you have to spend that time no matter what boat you use. I can launch it from any swimming beach and there are a few that are still free nearby. I also had to run out and find a life vest which is mandatory for all boaters on the lake. I tested it out on Saturday at home to practice assembling it and also put it into out swimming pool to see if I can get on and off this thing in the water. I am glad I tried that at home first as it is a real struggle to get back on so I also purchased locally a rope ladder. The other advantage is this boat can be taken in the car anywhere and we are near enough to the Mediterranean on the Croatian coast, Greece, Turkey and the Black Sea to take it along and have a bit of fun. It is also rated for Category C and D which means it can sail on open water up to Beaufort level 6. It is capable of floating 750 Kg so is rated for 4 passengers although I suspect it will be awfully slow at that speed. I also purchased the trapeze kit so I can fly one pontoon easily and still maintain my balance on the boat while standing. I am hoping to get it out on the lake tomorrow so more to come.
ReplyDelete

1 comment:

  1. When I thought about the way things have been recently, i owe my thanks to God for letting me find this amazing personality, i mailed Mr. alex roughly 2 months now, I was actually very uncertain about investing, very scared because i was also low on cash.I gave it my all, my first investment of $2,000 two weeks ago brought me $ 29,230 last week, and what intrigues me the most is the way him handles he partners, i recommend him too to my friend jeff, after trading with him, his testimonies have let me come here to attest for him. We are happy to meet a professional in you. I am proud to recommend him to any person who has a passion for trading, meet a good mentor and get good fortunes.Contact this veteran at: totalinvestmentcompany@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete